5.21.2018

A self portrait. Narcissistic or exploration?


There's something about mirrors that calls to me like a moth to a flame. When I walk by a mirror or a highly reflective window, and I just happen to have a camera over my shoulder, I feel a compulsion to pull the camera off and document what I look like. I think it's mostly curiosity; to understand how I look to everyone else, who live outside my brain and ego. 

I was in the Tang Museum at Skidmore College last week and I kept finding mirrored surfaces. I had a camera with me that does wickedly well with image stabilization and I tried every permutation I could. Now I know what I look like when I'm in a museum on a cold, rainy day and I've found a way to understand what my exterior presentation is all about. Does the Columbia rain jacket make me look fat? (implied smiley face emoji). I think we should all post some self-portraits. (And we should call them "self-portraits" unless we shoot them with a cellphone.....then we can call them "selfies").



2 comments:

John Krumm said...

Kirk "Vivian" Tuck. I like the occasional reflectograph myself, especially since I hardly ever end up in anyone else's shots.

ODL Designs said...

3rd from the top, love it! You are a part of a long history in experimentation and self exploration by artists.

Did the Captcha work out? Is it helping at all?