5.26.2017

If only Sony had taken one more step.... (A7ii).


I've been shooting the A7ii a lot. I've had mine for less than a year and have already put about 25,000 exposures on it. I love the form factor. I love the EVF. I'm very happy with the uncompressed raw files it generates. I'm even neutral about the small batteries.

But there is just one thing I hope they fix when they come out with the A7iii.....I want a quiet shutter like the one in the A7rii. I don't need "silent." I'll take quiet.

The camera they may want to purchase and learn from is the Panasonic G85. It has the nicest sounding shutter of any camera with which I've played. It's sublime.

Please, Sony! I don't need a million frames a second. I don't need ten thousand PD-AF points. Not looking for a buffer deep enough to bury Jimmy Hoffa in. I just want a camera that makes a pleasant sound when the shutter goes off. With 24 megapixels on a full frame sensor. Oh, and 4K video would be nice but I'd settle for 1080p if you could make it 10 bit 4:2:2.

That's all.

Oh, I forgot to mention, my birthday is in late October so if you can get the upgrade in stores by the end of September that would be super.

Thanks, Kirk

P.S. Not kidding around here. KT

1 comment:

Mark the tog said...

I have been interested (some say obsessed) with quiet shutters since I using my Dad's Argus C-3 and then being surprised by the noise of my first SLR, a Pentax H3v.

I hated the attention it brought to me when trying to photograph others in high school yet I did like the sound of complicated machinery when I was shooting inanimate objects.

My first Leica was a delight of mechanical precision and whisper quiet competence. The shutter was discreet yet made a sound that told you it was serious machinery.

The 80's saw a celebration of the clack-whine of add-on winders to consumer SLRs and even point and shoots. This elevated camera racket to some sort of demonic fashion statement. To me it was the photographic equivalent of heavy gold medallions and pinky rings shouting to the world that you had money but no taste/skill/or artistic sensitivity.

With the advent of mirrorless cameras I lived the EVFs and the promise of a low cost digital Leica analogue. I was sorely disappointed when the first cameras had shutters that seemed to be descended from hedge trimmers in their clatter.

Thankfully. the trend is now toward quiet. Finally the fashion of the market turns my way.