4.16.2017

I think I've got the focusing/sharpness issue with the Panasonic fz2500 under control.


I initially had many photos that weren't quite sharp enough when I viewed them at larger sizes. I shot with the camera at a technical rehearsal at Zach Theatre, a few weeks ago, and found that with manual focusing and pin point focusing I was able to get a high percent of medium and long focal length shots in perfect focus. Count the eyelashes focus. 

Since then I've been trying to fine tune my camera settings in order to get highly repeatable results. Today was my day to mess with noise reduction settings. I shot raw and used the Standard profile as my base. I went into the profile parameters and turned the noise control all the way down. I boosted contrast by one notch and then I spent the day shooting. I am using the pin point focus setting with the sensor in the middle selected. I also have the focusing speed set to one notch down.

I spent a couple hours walking around town, shooting everything at ISO 125 and I am happy to report that every frame was perfectly focused and convincingly sharp. No misfires and no misplaced measurements. Now I am happy with the camera as a photography tool. I'm already very happy with it as a 4K video camera. It's nearly perfect in that use. 

The images of the old Cadillac are from the Rainey Street neighborhood. The votive candles are from Mexicarte and the deck plate live somewhere on West Fifth St. All the files sharpen up well and there's very little noise to be seen in spite of the minimal noise reduction setting. 





3 comments:

Gary said...

The Caddy/Rainey Street photos bring back fond memories of Bangers, a beer garden with over 200 brews on tap (including a special selection of gluten-free beers [!]) and a small stage where fine but lesser-known bands and singers perform. Plus boiled peanuts if you dare. Thanks!

Don Karner said...

That's when cars were REALLY cars. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the camera and these photos.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.